Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Imagine

It is rare that some words have a deep impact on the way you think or the way you want to spend a lifetime or simply the way you look at things.


Previously some works like Invictus or the "I have a dream" speech had invoked the same feelings in me. The more I think about the song, Imagine, the more I fall in love with its lyrical beauty.

While people everywhere are spending time and money on figuring out ways to win wars, the song provokes you to imagine a world, where there shall be no countries at all, hence their shall be no wars.

While people everywhere are busy proving that their religion is the best, and hold riots in doing so, the song provokes you to imagine a world where there are no religions at all, hence there shall be no rivalries between Gods.

While people everywhere are trying to hoard more and more money and land, the song provokes you to imagine a world where no one owns anything, hence their is no greed for more.

Of course, cynics may say that without competition, man may be wiped out. They may say that this is just a figment/world of imagination and cannot be achieved in real life. They may say that there are simply too many of us to live without borders or laws.

But then isn't the human race smart enough to figure out a solution?
I mean, 500 years ago, I would have been ridiculed had I told the world that its possible to fly.
200 years ago, I would have been thrown out of society for wanting a way to go the moon, or even outer space.

Instead of figuring out ways to make Fighter aircrafts that will never be detected, can't the Human race spend its resources and its brains in figuring out a way to live such that fighter planes are never required.

It was for this precise reason that john Lennon says in the end that 'you may say i'm a dreamer'.
The song expresses hope that someday there will be enough like minded people, who will then finally figure out a way to make and live in such a world.

I for one hope the song succeeds in its mission.

Following are the lyrics....
I hope you do listen to the song if you haven't already

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

0 comments: